A small computer file known as a ‘cookie’ is placed on your computer when you use the Dorothy House website. It means that our system can learn from the content you view what content may be useful to you.
- Store your preference information – the website can then curate more relevant information specifically for you.
- Analyse the website traffic using Google Analytics – this cumulative data ensures our goal of constant development to improve the overall user experience of the website.
- Recognise returning traffic to our website – we may therefore, display relevant content specifically to you or present previously used functionality.
- Identify if you are signed in to the website.
However, please be assured that Cookies do not allow us to access your computer or present any information about you, other than that you choose to share via your search engine browser preferences.
This site uses Google Analytics and so the following cookies are in use:
Cookie Name: _ga Use: This cookie is used by Google Analytics, a third party application (provided by Google) that we use to understand how visitors use our site. You can learn more about this cookie and what Google has to say about it, and others, by logging on to:
You have the right to object to this tracking and to stop it happening.
How do I prevent being tracked by Google Analytics?
If you are uncomfortable with this tracking, you can take the following actions:
Use a tracking-blocker, such as Privacy Badger
- Clear cookies after every browsing session
- Install the Google Analytics opt-out extension
Your rights re. Google Analytics
If you already have GA cookies, they will be updated with the latest information about your visit to the site. As we cannot access any personal data about you ourselves, we are not the Data Controller for your Google Analytics. You would need to contact Google directly for this information.
Sharing personal information about service providers website and users with third parties
Dorothy House will never sell personal data to any third party.
We do share your data with organisations that work on our behalf or supply us with services that require your data in order to deliver these services. Companies that we work with include:
E-Commerce organisations (e.g. Shopify)
Email marketing service: We currently use Mailchimp to manage some of our requested email marketing and crucial information dissemination. Mailchimp stores its data in the US, although it complies with the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss – US Privacy Shield Framework. Mailchimp uses personal data for its own purposes. You can read Mailchimp’s privacy information here: https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/ . We are currently in the process of moving to a UK/EU hosted email marketing provider.