Hints and tips for holding a successful Dorothy’s Tea Party
- Pick a date and location for your tea party.
- Remember that you don’t have to just serve tea! Coffee, hot chocolate and juice all works just as well.
- Use the invites provided to invite as many friends, neighbours, colleagues and family as possible.
- Advertise your Dorothy’s Tea Party by putting a poster in your window, on the bulletin board or somewhere else prominent.
- Tell all your friends and family that you are hosting a Dorothy’s Tea Party through social media (Top tip: Post your party as an event on Facebook).
- If you need to stock up on china and plates, pop into your local Dorothy House Charity Shop to pick up a bargain tea set. You can always donate it back once you have finished – helping to raise even more money.
- Plan your baking and encourage friends to help you. The more cakes the merrier! See our suggested recipes for ideas.
- Decide what donations you would like for each cup of tea, coffee and cake.
- Plan as many fundraising games as you like (see below for some fun ideas) to raise even more money for the hospice.
- Display the Donation Form provided for anyone who wishes to make a general donation or for people who can’t attend on the day.
- Have fun and enjoy your Dorothy’s Tea Party!
- Thank your guests for coming.
- Let everyone know how much you raised by putting it on the poster, emailing your guests or posting on social media.
Want to raise that little bit more and have some fun at your Dorothy’s Tea Party?
Here are some ideas for adding some spice to your tea party:
- hold a raffle – ask guests to bring prizes
- Sell homemade jams, chutneys and pickles
- Have a second hand book or craft stall
- Hold a bring-and-buy sale at the same time
- Play guess how many jelly beans in the jar
- Have a decorate a cookie or cupcake competition (for kids)
- Take any leftover cake into work for more donations
Every pound raised through a Dorothy’s Tea Party goes towards helping us to continue to provide our quality care – when it matters most.