The Big Avon Paddle
- 18 September, 2021 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
- The Boathouse, Bath
Join us on Saturday 18 September for The Big Avon Paddle as we paddle from The Boathouse Bath on a 4-mile circular route that you can paddle as many time as you’d like, from 10am-6pm. Paddle along the River Avon while taking in the beautiful scenery and fresh air as you go.
From start to finish, the event will take place between 10am-6pm, with built in time for refreshments, loo breaks and catching up with fellow paddlers. The challenge isn’t a race; it’s a paced event designed to be enjoyable for all participants. We’ll travel at about 3ml per hour and a map will be provided to participants that shows all the stopping points so that your friends and family can come along to support you.
Event entry is £20 and every participant should raise £200 in sponsorship for Dorothy House. Participants who raise £300 or more will receive a free event hoodie! The entry fee covers the cost of your event t-shirt, refreshments and food at the end of the paddle – as we celebrate conquering the The Big Avon Paddle!
Every participant must provide their own paddleboard, kayak or canoe – all are welcome. There are no boards or boats available for hire on the day, so you’ll need to make your own arrangements ahead of time. Additionally, you must bring your own PFD/lifejacket/buoyancy aid and wear this at all times when on the water.
We expect this event to sell out fast so register your interest below and we’ll let you know when the tickets for this event go on sale!
Terms and Conditions
- By signing up to The Big Avon Paddle you have agreed to raise a minimum of £200 sponsorship or to make a donation of £200 in lieu of sponsorship
- Entrants must be aged 14 and over: entrants aged 14-17 must be accompanied by a paying guardian
- ALL participants MUST wear a PFD/lifejacket/buoyancy aid: no participant will be allowed to take part without one
- Participants must wear appropriate clothing for the weather conditions on the day (this may include: a sunhat, sunscreen, sunglasses, raincoat, etc. NO Jeans or jogging bottoms are allowed for safety reasons.
- Although there are pubs to stop off at en-route, participants are encouraged to pack water and snacks
- A safety demo will take place at the start of the event
- It is preferable that participants have a BSUPA or Canoe England membership which provides insurance while on the water
- The event is being led in accordance with the Channel Kayaks standard disclaimer which participants will be required to digitally sign upon registration
- A qualified instructor/member of staff will be positioned at the front, middle and rear of the group and each staff member will carry a mobile phone and Icom Radio for communication and safety
- In the event of an emergency, What3Words app will be used to identify the exact location for emergency services
- Staff will each carry a first aid kit and safety throw rope at all times
- The Big Avon Paddle is being organised by Channel Kayaks; for more information please visitchannelkayaks.co.uk
- Dorothy House may take photographs/video during the event to be used in publicity and will be kept for three years; if you do not want your photograph to be used, please make this knows to the Dorothy House Fundraising Team
- Don’t attend if you or anyone in your household/support or childcare bubble are self-isolating or displaying symptoms of Covid-19
- Please observe the Government’s latest guidelines on travel at the time of the event
- Follow Government and site guidelines on social distancing and hygiene
- In the unlikely event that we do need to cancel the event, you will be notified by email
- If we are unable to re-arrange the event for another date, we will contact you about refund options